NOVAK DJOKOVIC LATEST NEWS:-
World number one Novak Djokovic described the strict hygiene restrictions under which the US Open is likely to be played as “extreme” and a cap on support teams as “really impossible” on Friday.
Djokovic told Prva TV television and quoted by Blic online daily that the demands of organizers could create serious burdens. “Just yesterday I had a telephone conversation with the leaders of world tennis, talks are going on to resume the ongoing season, mostly about the US Open due in late August, but it is not known whether it will be held due to situation and demand of the organizers.
“The rules that they told us that we would have to respect to be there, to play at all, they are extreme.”
Djokovic who won the US Open in 2011, 2015, and 2018, described planned limits on player entourages as “really impossible”.
“We would not have access to Manhattan, we would have to sleep in hotels at the airport, to be tested twice or three times per week.
“Also, we could bring one person to the club which is really impossible.
“I mean, you need your coach, then a fitness trainer, then a physiotherapist.
“All their suggestions are really rigorous but I can understand that due to financial reasons, due to already existing contracts, organizers want the event to be held. We will see what will happen.”
Previously world number two Rafael Nadal had revealed similar reservations over the US Open, which was going to be held on August 31.
Nadal, who has won the US Open in 2019, said that if the New York showpiece was being staged this week, he would not play.
Nadal told reporters in a video conference call “We cannot resume until the situation is completely safe and fair in terms of health in that all players, wherever they come from, can travel and play tournaments in safe conditions,”
“If you told me to play the US Open today, I would say ‘no’.
“In a few months, I don’t know. I hope so. We have to wait for people to return to normal life. And when it does, we have to wait to see the situation and how the virus evolves.”
The tennis tournament around the world came to rest since mid-March and will not resume until late July at the earliest.
Wimbledon was canceled for the first time since World War II, while the French Open has been postponed from May-June to September-October.
women’s world number one Ashleigh Barty also questioned about resuming tennis too soon, saying she needed more information, facts, and stats before committing to the US Open.
she told the Sydney Morning Herald “It’s exciting that tennis is being in talk again and things are moving in the right direction for us to start competing,”
“But I’d need to see the situation, understand all of the information, facts, and advice from the WTA and the USTA before making a decision on the US events.”
It is expected that the ATP and WTA will issue an update on the US Open and the rest of the season on Wednesday.
Even if the US Open goes ahead, it will likely be behind closed doors.
I started my sports blog because I love sports and wanted to be updated about sports.
Sports are very close to my heart, have a passion for different sports, and love to share the top and trending sports news and info from all over the world to all those crazy sports lovers…
Be here…..you will not go anywhere…
That’s how we create content for you!
Inbox looking a bit bland?
Better sign up to our blog to cram it full of trending Sports updates.