Disclosure: Sportshubnet is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.
In this post, we will check out how to overcome video game addiction.
Video game addiction has become a growing concern in recent years, with more and more people becoming addicted to playing video games for hours on end.
This addiction can cause numerous negative impacts on a person’s life, including social isolation, poor health, and decreased academic or job performance.
It can be difficult to break free from the grip of video game addiction, but it is possible with the right tools and support.
In this article, we will discuss various strategies for overcoming video game addiction and reclaiming control over your life.
Whether you are seeking help for yourself or someone you know, this guide will provide valuable information and practical tips for breaking the cycle of video game addiction.
So now without further delay let’s go ahead and check out how to overcome video game addiction.
How To Overcome Video Game Addiction?
What Is Video Game Addiction?
Video game addiction is a form of behavioral addiction characterized by excessive, repetitive, and compulsive engagement in video games.
This addiction can negatively impact one’s daily life, including relationships, work, school, and overall health.
Symptoms may include loss of control over gaming behavior, neglect of personal responsibilities, withdrawal symptoms when not playing, and tolerance (needing to play more and more to get the same level of enjoyment).
How to Overcome Video Game Addiction
Attentive To These Signs
First of all, you have to look at yourself and your surroundings which includes your partner, child, friend, or family. You need to examine the following problems listed below to understand whether the person is going through a gaming addiction or not:-
- Thinking about gaming all the time
- Want to spend more time playing game
- Neglects school or work
- Not interested in other things
- Having problems at work, school, or home because of your gaming
- Lying to people for your gaming time
It’s time to ask yourself, does your game-playing time affect your other works of daily life? It may be obvious that you may find spending gaming time is fine for you.
But if people close to you say that it’s too much then it’s time to overcome your gaming addiction.
Set Limits on Your Game Times
- Set a strict time limit for daily gameplay:-
1) Recommended practice must be no more than two hours per day.
2) Always keep track of your game-playing time by assigning a timer on your phone or any other device.
3) If you play games on your phone or on your computer, you can install particular apps and browser extensions that help you to limit your game time.
- Try apps or extensions to secure your entrance to games.
1) Using Microsoft Family Safety App can set time limits on games.
2) If you play games in a web browser, try an extension like Limit, LeechBlock, and Web activity Time Tracker.
3) If you are playing on the phone, try apps like Stay Focused or Stayfree to set time limits and stalk your game usage, or stop your access to gaming apps.
- Maintain a distance with gaming instruments out of your bedroom:-
1) If you have games on your desktop, switch off the desktop at night
2) If you have games on your phone switch them off at night to have access.
3) Avoid playing games before going to bed as it affects your sound sleep.
Inducting a Balanced Routine
Inducting a balanced routine is very important if you ever feel you are addicted to gaming. Take the time to discover those activities you used to enjoy earlier. For example:-
2) Outdoor activities
3) Spending quality time with your friends and family
4) Working on your passion
5) Listening to Music and watching movies for fun
6) Explore the city with your friends
Indulge In stress-relieving actions
Indulging in stress-relieving actions will surely boost your gaming addiction. Work on developing things that will improve your physical and mental health. Such as:-
2) Take A Walk
3) Balanced Diet
Self Care Is Important
Taking self-care is very important if you really want to come out with a gaming addiction. Follow the practices mentioned below:-
Physical Self-Care Examples:–
- Eat a healthy meal
- Engage in exercise
- Go for a walk
- Drink water
- Practice good sleep hygiene
- Take a shower or bath
Mental Self-Care Examples:
- Take a break
- Listen to music
- Read a book
- Listen to a podcast
Spiritual/Social Self-Care Examples:
- Call/text a friend
- Connect with nature
1 Ask your doctor for advice
Yes, you heard it right, taking insightful advice from your doctor surely cuts your gaming time and addiction. They may be able to give you proper guidance on how to stop or direct you to someone who can generally help you out with gaming addiction.
If you’re a small kid or teen, then first you have to talk to your parents or any other adults in your house about the situation.
2 Join a support group for gaming addicts if you feel isolated.
There are tons of people who are dealing with the same problems, you just have to join their support groups. Other members of the group can give you guidance and help to feel less isolated.
3 Rehab for addiction
If you are seriously addicted and it’s affecting your health it’s time to look for a rehabilitation program.
It takes a lot of resilience to pursue help for addiction, however, you must go for it and search online for the nearest rehabilitation program available in your area to get out of addiction.
Other treatments that you can do to overcome an addiction to video games are as follows:-
- Moderate Play – Set a precise number of hours to play per day.
- Avoid MMOs(massively multiplayer online games) – Stay away from Massive Multiplayer online games. The game itself is time-consuming and has not been recommended for physical and mental health.
- Take a pause every hour. For each hour of gameplay, pause yourself to refresh from continuous playing.
- Find hobbies. To distance yourself from gaming addiction you have to work on your hobbies. Keep your hands and mind busy while doing hobbyist things.
Inbox looking a bit bland?
Better sign up to our blog to cram it full of trending Sports, Gaming & Tech updates.