Disclosure: Sportshubnet is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.
In this post, we will check out how to overcome video game addiction.
Playing video games is always a fun activity and refreshes the mind. But if you ever think that you are gripped by a particular game it means that you may have a video game addiction.
Gaming disorder is described in the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) as a habit of gaming behavior (“digital-gaming” or “video-gaming”) portrayed by impaired control over gaming.
Studies indicate that gaming disorder involves only a small proportion of people who engage in digital- or video-gaming activities. However, people who participate in gaming should be attentive to the amount of time they consume on gaming activities.
Fortunately, there are fortes you can do to get your obsession under control. Try setting limitations for yourself and preserving busy with other activities.
So now without a further delay let’s go ahead and check out how to overcome video game addiction.
How To Overcome Video Game Addiction?
What Is Video Game Addiction?
A video game addiction is simply an obsession with playing video games. This dependence is spreading at a very fast rate among hardcore game-obsessed people.
While it may not impact the body directly however it can still impact your mental health and behavior.
How to Overcome Video Game Addiction
Attentive To These Signs
First of all, you have to look at yourself and your surroundings which includes your partner, child, friend, or family. You need to examine the following problems listed below to understand whether the person is going through a gaming addiction or not:-
- Thinking about gaming all the time
- Want to spend more time playing game
- Neglects school or work
- Not interested in other things
- Having problems at work, school, or home because of your gaming
- Lying to people for your gaming time
It’s time to ask yourself, does your game playing time affect your other works of daily life. It may be obvious that you may find spending gaming time is fine for you.
But if people close to you say that it’s too much then it’s time to overcome your gaming addiction.
Set Limits on Your Game Times
- Set a strict time limit for daily gameplay:-
1) Recommended practice must be no more than two hours per day.
2) Always keep track of your game playing time by assigning a timer on your phone or any other device.
3) If you play games on your phone or on your computer, you can install particular apps and browser extensions that help you to limit your game time.
- Try apps or extensions to secure your entrance to games.
1) Using Microsoft Family Safety App can set time limits on games.
2) If you play games in a web browser, try an extension like Limit, LeechBlock, and Web activity Time Tracker.
3) If you are playing on the phone, try apps like Stay Focused or StayFree to set time limits and stalk your game usage, or stop your access to gaming apps.
- Maintain a distance with gaming instruments out of your bedroom:-
1) If you have games on your desktop, switch off the desktop at night
2) If you have games on your phone switch them off at night to have access.
3) Avoid playing games before going to bed as it affects your sound sleep.
Inducting a Balanced Routine
Inducting a balanced routine is very important if you ever feel you are addicted to gaming. Take the time to discover those activities you used to enjoy earlier. For example:-
2) Outdoor activities
3) Spending quality time with your friends and family
4) Working on your passion
5) Listening to Music and watching movies for fun
6) Explore the city with your friends
Indulge In stress-relieving actions
Indulging in stress-relieving actions will surely boost your against gaming addiction. Work on developing things that will improve your physical and mental health. Such as:-
2) Take A Walk
3) Balanced Diet
Self Care Is Important
Taking self-care is very important if you really want to come out with a gaming addiction. Follow the practices mentioned below:-
Physical Self-Care Examples:–
- Eat a healthy meal
- Engage in exercise
- Go for a walk
- Drink water
- Practice good sleep hygiene
- Take a shower or bath
Mental Self-Care Examples:
- Take a break
- Listen to music
- Read a book
- Listen to a podcast
Spiritual/Social Self-Care Examples:
- Call/text a friend
- Connect with nature
1 Ask your doctor for advice
Yes, you heard it right, taking insightful advice from your doctor surely cut your gaming time and addiction. They may be able to give you proper guidance on how to stop or direct you to someone who can generally help you out from the gaming addiction.
If you’re a small kid or teen, then first you have to talk to your parents or any other adults in your house about the situation.
2 Join a support group for gaming addicts if you feel isolated.
There are tons of people who are dealing with the same problems, you just have to join their support groups. Other members of the group can give you guidance and help to feel less isolated.
3 Rehab for addiction
If you are seriously addicted and it’s affecting your health it’s time to look for a rehabilitation program.
It takes a lot of resilience to pursue help for addiction, however, you must go for it and search online for the nearest rehabilitation program available in your area to get out of addiction.
Other treatments that you can do to overcome an addiction to video games are as follows:-
- Moderate Play – Set a precise number of hours to play per day.
- Avoid MMOs(massively multiplayer online games) – Stay away from Massive Multiplayer online games. The game itself is time-consuming and has not been recommended for physical and mental health.
- Take a pause every hour. For each hour of gameplay, pause yourself to refresh from continuous playing.
- Find hobbies. To distance yourself from gaming addiction you have to work on your hobbies. Keep your hands and mind busy while doing hobbyist things.
Inbox looking a bit bland?
Better sign up to our blog to cram it full of trending Sports, Gaming & Tech updates.