Disclosure: Sportshubnet is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn More.
In this post, we will check out how to make money on Udemy in 2023.
Udemy is a popular online platform that offers a vast array of courses to people around the world.
It is an excellent platform for both instructors and learners, as it allows instructors to monetize their expertise and knowledge by creating and selling their courses, while learners can access high-quality courses at an affordable price.
As we enter 2023, Udemy continues to be a lucrative platform for instructors who want to earn a passive income by sharing their knowledge with others.
In this article, we will explore some of the ways in which you can make money on Udemy in 2023. We will cover everything from how to choose the right course topic, how to create high-quality content, and how to market your course effectively to maximize your earnings potential.
So, whether you’re a seasoned instructor or just getting started, read on to discover how you can make money on Udemy in 2023.
Table of contents
- How To Make Money On Udemy In 2023
- 1 You need a product idea
- 2 Create your course outline
- 3 Create an actionable marketing plan
- 4 Write your script
- 5 Choose a filming location and time of day
- 6 Install your recording software
- 7 Make sure your sound is right
- 8 Add an intro to each video lesson
- 9 Be conscious of your body language and gestures
- 10 Make sure the background is free of distractions
How To Make Money On Udemy In 2023
What Is Udemy?
Udemy is a popular online learning platform that provides a vast array of courses on various topics. It was founded in 2010 and has since grown to become one of the largest online learning platforms, offering over 155,000 courses in more than 65 languages.
Udemy courses are created and taught by subject matter experts from around the world, and students can learn at their own pace from anywhere with an internet connection. The platform offers a diverse range of courses, from business and marketing to programming and IT, arts and music, and personal development.
Udemy courses are designed to be accessible to learners of all levels, from beginners to experts. The courses are structured into sections and lectures, and most include downloadable resources such as slides, quizzes, and assignments to help reinforce learning.
Additionally, many courses offer certification upon completion, which can be added to a student’s LinkedIn profile or resume to showcase their newly acquired skills and knowledge.
One of the key benefits of Udemy is its affordability. Many courses are priced at a fraction of the cost of traditional in-person training or university programs, making education more accessible to people who may not have the time, resources, or budget for formal education.
Furthermore, the platform offers frequent discounts, promotions, and bundle deals, making it even more affordable for learners.
Udemy also provides a range of tools and features to help students and instructors engage with each other and the course content. For example, instructors can communicate with students through a messaging system and provide personalized feedback on assignments and quizzes.
Similarly, students can ask questions and participate in discussions with other students and instructors, creating a collaborative learning environment. Additionally, Udemy offers a mobile app, that allows students to learn on the go and download courses for offline viewing.
Overall, Udemy provides a convenient and affordable way for learners of all backgrounds and levels to acquire new skills and knowledge.
With a vast library of courses, flexible learning options, and engaging features, Udemy has become a popular choice for those seeking to enhance their professional or personal development.
How Much Money Can You Make On Udemy In 2023?
It is difficult to estimate the amount of money that can be made on Udemy, as it depends on several factors such as the quality of the course, the demand for the subject, the price of the course, and the number of students enrolled.
Some instructors have reported making anywhere from a few hundred dollars to over six figures in revenue from their courses on Udemy.
It is important for instructors to regularly update and promote their courses to maintain a high level of engagement and sales.
10 Tips On How To Make Money On Udemy 2023
1 You need a product idea
Before we get into how to put together your course and make money, it’s important to understand the first step of the process: coming up with a product idea.
What is a product idea?
It’s the thing that makes people want to buy what you’re selling. The more unique and specific your product ideas are, the better off you’ll be when it comes time to actually develop them into courses.
For example, let’s say you’re selling chocolate fudge sauce as a course on Udemy. You could say this is your “product.” But maybe instead of just being about making chocolate fudge sauce, maybe it’s about making healthier versions of classic desserts (like brownies). That would be an example of having multiple product ideas under one umbrella!
2 Create your course outline
The first step to making money on Udemy is to create an outline of the content you want to teach. You’ll need to decide what topics you plan on covering, the order in which they will be covered, and how much time will be spent on each one.
This is important because it helps establish the course structure and ensures that all students have a chance of understanding each concept before moving on to more advanced ones.
Ideally, your topic should also align with what other people are searching for on Udemy. To find out which terms are most popular with customers (and therefore make sure yours goes viral), enter your idea into keyword research tools such as Keyword Tool or Google AdWords’ Keyword Planner tool and see where it lands among competing searches from previous courses.
3 Create an actionable marketing plan
You need to know your audience.
You need to know what they want to learn.
You need to know how to reach them.
You need to know how to get them to buy your course.
You need to know how to keep them engaged and coming back for more, or else you will have wasted your time and money creating a useless course that nobody wants (and nobody will buy).
4 Write your script
You’re going to need a script for your course, so make sure you write it first! You can do this in any word processor or text editor, but I recommend sticking with something like Microsoft Word or Google Docs since they have spell checkers built right in.
When writing your course, think about how you want to tell your story: who are you, and what makes you qualified to teach?
Why should people care about taking this class? What will they learn by taking it? How will they benefit from it? These are all questions that should be answered when writing the script for a video course on Udemy (or really any other platform).
5 Choose a filming location and time of day
Choose a filming location that has good lighting and is quiet. To film your videos, you’ll want to choose a place where you have plenty of room to move around and it’s free from distractions.
It’s also important that the background isn’t too busy or distracting either. If there are windows behind you in the background, make sure they don’t have any glare on them so that it looks like it’s coming directly from the sun.
6 Install your recording software
- Install Camtasia
- Install Camtasia Studio
- Install Screenflow
- Install Screencast-O-Matic
- Install Jing (for the Mac) or Screenr (for Windows) if you want to record your screen without using Camtasia. The advantage of using either of these tools is that you can record audio in collaboration with your screen recording at the same time. If you’re going to use Jing, make sure that you select the “record my webcam” option when starting a new session. Otherwise, all of your recordings will be silent!
7 Make sure your sound is right
Make sure your sound is right.
It’s a common misconception that you can get by with a laptop’s built-in microphone, but this isn’t true for three reasons:
- You’ll be more comfortable and less stressed if you speak more clearly and at a louder volume. This will help improve your voice quality and make it easier to understand what you’re saying.
- If the sound isn’t good on your recording, no one will want to watch it! Good audio is essential for creating video content that people actually want to watch—and their only reason for watching is if they feel like they’re getting something out of it (not necessarily just entertainment).
- The lower quality of built-in microphones makes them susceptible to picking up background noises like cars driving by outside or other people talking nearby. For most people who record their voice-over video tutorials, the poor audio quality will distract from what they’re trying to communicate instead of enhancing their message.
8 Add an intro to each video lesson
An intro is the first part of your video that viewers will see when they click on it. It should be short (less than 20 seconds) and effective.
You want to offer a brief description of what they’ll learn in this video, as well as how they can benefit from watching it.
Don’t be afraid to be funny! If you can make people laugh, they’ll watch more of your videos—and chances are good that if they like one video by you, then they’ll probably like others by you too.
But don’t overdo it; remember that some people come to Udemy just for serious learning opportunities!
Also, don’t feel obligated to use different intros for every video lesson; if you do have multiple courses with similar content or themes then consider using one consistent introduction across all courses instead of changing them up each time.
This way potential customers will have an easier time finding other courses from us later on down the line since all our videos will look familiar thanks to their consistent branding throughout each series.”
9 Be conscious of your body language and gestures
By keeping your arms close to your body, feet shoulder-width apart, and hands open, you’ll appear more approachable and less threatening.
Your posture should be upright and relaxed — avoid slouching or tilting forward. Your facial expressions should be natural and relaxed.
Make eye contact with the camera throughout the entire course (which will become part of your branding). Be aware of all background elements — avoid bright light behind you as well as distracting objects in the foreground (such as windows) so viewers can focus on what’s important: YOU!
10 Make sure the background is free of distractions
A plain background is best. The background should be free of distractions, meaning it should not include people, pets, furniture, or windows.
A good example is a wall with a neutral color that doesn’t draw attention away from your face or the camera lens.
What Are Some Ideas To Market Your Course?
- Use social media to promote your course and engage with potential students.
- Create a landing page on your website with detailed information about the course and a call-to-action to sign up.
- Collaborate with influencers or industry experts to gain credibility and reach a wider audience.
- Offer a limited-time discount or special offer to encourage enrollment.
- Host a webinar or live event to showcase the course content and answer questions from interested learners.
- Create a blog or vlog series about the topic of the course and share relevant content to build interest and anticipation.
- Reach out to relevant online communities and forums to share information about the course and engage with potential students.
- Offer a free trial or sample lesson to give potential students a taste of the course content and value.
- Create a referral program to encourage current students to spread the word and bring in new learners.
- Utilize email marketing to send targeted messages to potential students and keep them updated on course developments and enrollment deadlines.
Is It Hard To Make Money On Udemy?
It is not necessarily hard to make money on Udemy, but it does require effort and dedication. Success on Udemy depends on factors such as the quality and relevance of the course, the instructor’s teaching ability, and the ability to effectively market and promote the course.
In order to maximize earnings, instructors must also continuously update and improve their courses to keep them relevant and engaging for students.
How Much Money Can A Beginner Make From Udemy?
It is difficult to determine exactly how much money a beginner can make from Udemy as it varies greatly depending on the course, instructor, and students enrolled.
It is believed that around $50 to $500 per month is achievable for new instructors but, the possibility can be even greater.
Inbox looking a bit bland?
Better sign up to our blog to cram it full of trending Sports, Gaming & Tech updates.